Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ignored

My sad little blog must feel so ignored. I have had no urge to post anything at all on here, and every time I think about blogging everything sounds so lame in my head I just give up and don't write anything.
So, here it is, all July and stuff. Everyone gets so busy in July what with vacations and holidays and the like. Even me it seems. Somehow we have something planned EVERY Friday and Saturday in July. We've enjoyed our fair share of cook outs, firework watching, playing in the mountains and on the beach, and general summertime slacking with family & friends.
Since Cody isn't in school, on week nights we take leisurely bike rides, and read books together in the living room until it's time for bed. Sweet.
I did finally finish a project I've been working on for some time, a new mat for under my office chair at the computer desk. Our old plastic one wore out, and was super annoying. I saw an idea on a blog (here) to make one out of plywood instead of buying lame plastic ones over and over. I'm pretty much in love with it. Here are some pictures:

This was while I was staining it, after Cody had cut it to fit the space, and then rounded the edges and router-ed them so they are all nice and sloped.
Then I stenciled on some grey and green dots, and varnished it up. Here it is in my office! The cat was suspicious of it at first. Cool eh?

I swear the internet makes you do crazy things. Such as- why BUY red, white, & blue sprinkles for cupcakes, when in 20 hours you can have made your own from scratch!?! What? I don't know, I thought it seemed like a good idea, and they did turn out pretty cute. They didn't actually take 20 hours to make, but I did dry them overnight before cutting them up. 
(I used the recipe found here, but piped them like these)
So notice how DARK the frosting is? It was almost black, more like oreo chocolate than regular chocolate. Normally I make a simple yet delicious ganache recipe for cupcakes that uses heavy cream and bittersweet/semisweet chocolate, then whip it till it's fluffy, but I wanted to make a regular buttercream for these. I tried the Hershey's Special Dark Dutch process cocoa in them, and I can't decide if I liked it or not. I think the flavor was a little off, and the super dark color really threw me. I'll have to try it in some other recipes before I decide if I'd buy it again.

Also, I have become obsessed with The Regular Show on Cartoon Network. If you haven't seen it, you must. I don't know why, but it makes me laugh so much. Probably because I have the same sense of humor as a 12 year old boy.


So I guess I am no longer ignoring my blog. Hooray.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Ooh, the mat turned out fantastic. I'm pretending I'm not super jealous as I sit here on my rolley chair with NO mat underneath.

Lisa said...

I adore the mat you made!! I'm glad the Molly inspected it--hopefully she approves :)

Shellie said...

I absolutely LOVE the mat! It is fabulous! Someday when I get a superfancy (or not so superfancy) office chair with wheels, I'm going to toally copy you & make my own only in a fabulous plummy purple!

(Oh, and we missed you on Saturday! We still need to plan to come up there & dine or hang out or something!)

Mandy @ Sugar Bee Crafts said...

your mat turned out great!!