Thursday, October 16, 2008

haven't you always wanted a monkey?

My sister-in-law Natalie came over Saturday and we set about making sock monkeys! I had some sort of crazy idea that they had to be knee-highs to work. I guess it's not really what you're supposed use, so as a result, our monkeys had SUPER long skinny legs, arms & tails. Now Natalie flew through making hers, and at the end of the night, she had a cute little monkey, and mine looked like some sort of worm with legs.
To be fair, I was trying to make dinner (home made whole wheat pizza!) and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies at the same time, but I have a feeling she would have kicked my butt at monkey making even if I hadn't.
Making them did remind me how much I love my Hello Kitty sewing machine. It's so simple, it goes nice & slow, and it's fun to look at. My little brother even commented that he liked the color.

Sewing Monkeys
Sewing up the little buggers.

Jen's Monkey
Mine is finally finished...3 days later!

Jen's Monkey Arms
Hanging out on my computer. Look at those arms! Heeee.

Monkey Face
A face only a mother could love?

So what if he has wonky arms that are way too far forward on his body, and has one ear that I sewed the material inside out. And I guess his ears are pretty far back on his face...and I found out I am terrible at embroidery when I tried to do his mouth. I'm just glad I wasn't making him as a gift or anything, because he's actually pretty ugly. :)
Next, I'd love to make one of these... Sock kitty!!

3 comments:

Kathy Schroder's Sass said...

hey there I read that you are going to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I have a recipe but I don't know if its good or not. Let me know if your recipe is any good and send it to me. Thanks I am making some on Monday for Family Home Evening

Darci said...

I totally want a sock monkey. Were they easy to make?? I want your recipe for the cookies too. I love the pumpkin chocolate chip bread from Grist Mill, yummy!! It was so good seeing you. Hopefully we can get together at Christmas and you are always welcome out here : )

Megan said...

So dang cute! I think yours looks fabulous. Although, maybe you should try a llama or an emu. ;)