Sunday, September 28, 2008

the best thing at the grocery store

I just love rotisserie chickens. L-O-V-E-love. I don't know about your house, but we usually eat them for 3 dinners in a row (after that, if there's anything left, I throw it out though). We eat it with couscous, on pizza, in sandwiches, pasta, salads, you name it! I imagine if you have more than 2 people eating at your house, it might not last for 3 meals, but I love it! My favorite is to have Cody grab one Friday afternoon on his way home from work, and then we have a whole weekend of yummy meals with no eating out, which is my Achilles heel on weekends. So here are the things I made for dinner this weekend, all without having to touch raw meat! Hooray!

The first night, I took all of the meat off the bird, and put it in the fridge. Usually the first night we eat it hot, but I had a salad planned. We ate the chicken on top of red leaf lettuce, baby spinach, with fresh garden tomatoes, mandarin oranges, and avocados. You could add all kinds of veggies to this, but this is what I had on hand not already planned into other meals. I then made this Honey Poppy Seed dressing to go on it. I also had these yummy brown rice chips that we crunched up on top! Soooo good!
Salad Fixings!
Yummy!

That night, after Cody had gone to bed, I made a batch of hummus (my first time making it, thanks for the idea D!) for the next days dinner. It was better after the flavors have had a chance to blend. I accidentally put a bit too much cayenne pepper in it, and thankfully it mellowed overnight. Along with the hummus, we had toasted wheat pita, the chicken seasoned with a little cracked pepper, feta cheese, veggies, and fruit. We mostly made little sandwiches with hummus-chicken-feta-cucumbers, and it was simple and good.

Homemade Hummus!

Now our 3rd day rotisserie chicken meal is almost ALWAYS Chicken BBQ pizza, on pita bread with BBQ sauce, green peppers & onions sauteed, and shredded cheddar cheese. But since we had the yummy feta cheese leftover from last night, we made a version of this Pepper, Onion & Feta pizza. I usually make it with onions, peppers, spinach & artichoke hearts, but this time we did onions, peppers, spinach, olives, & the end of the chicken. I wish I had a red pepper to make it more colorful, but it was good even if it was a little monochromatic.
Pizza!

So there are my 3 days of meals with our one little chicken. For around 8$, we were able to have meat in our 3 meals that might otherwise have gone meatless. (Which honestly, we do around here more than Cody would like) I would love to know what you guys do with your chickens, let me know any good ideas your family enjoys!

4 comments:

Darci said...

I love that you are posting yummy recipes. I'm so going to try the chicken idea. I'm going to have to change a few things, Rod doesn't eat lettuce or dressing or hummus but I'll let you know when I figure it out. Thanks for the idea. I love saving money and eating yummy food. I love the new pic at the top of your page, you look so great!! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks :)

Kerry said...

Jen, Thanks so much for sending me your blog invite. You are so talented...I can't wait to try your recipes...but I think I will need a few more chickens than one..how many do you suggest? Reggie said to tell you thank you for the things you sent him. It made his day. Anyway, I loved your blog post and can't wait to read the rest of them. I am so glad you had a good time on your trip. It was so fun to see you last month. Love you Sis ;)

Megan said...

Ooh. Those look good. Can you come cook for me? I need some more healthy recipes.

Jenny Mathews said...

Aw dang girl!! Now I'm hungry again! ;) YUM.