Tuesday, September 9, 2008

be it ever so humble...

...there's no place like home. Yay. I did not die on a little plane. That is my big accomplishment for the week. Also, I did a lot of things totally out of my comfort zone and survived that too. We had a simply fabulous time in Wisconsin. I don't know where to start. Let's see, we woke up at 4am to get ready so that we could be at the airport in plenty of time for our 8am flight. Which was delayed and hour. Doh! We then missed our connection in Minnesota, so instead of having to run to make our flight, they just put us on a later one. I was tempted to ride the tram to the mall of America and have Joyce come meet me! But there wasn't really time for that either. The good thing, was that our plane we flew into Central Wisconsin airport on was bigger than the Saab one we were supposed to, and it was really new, like 2004 or something. The bad thing was we got to our hotel as the group we were supposed to be going to the museum with, were already leaving. So we ran to our room, got ready as fast as we could, and took a cab. We got there with 10 minutes to spare, but everyone was kind of freaking out that we were that late.

We sat in a big tent on the grass of the museum lawn, and were in the front row. Then Cody's dad was introduced and received his Master Artist award. The guy who introduced him was hilarious and we were laughing so hard. Then Cody's dad gave a little acceptance speech, which was also hilarious, and totally sweet too. He's about the last person who would ever want to speak in public, so I could tell he was really nervous, but it all went off without a hitch.
Then we loaded onto the buses, and we went to a building to have dinner. I was so worried about what to wear, and I shouldn't have been. Everyone was wearing everything. From pants to short and long dresses, super fancy to not at all. I think I was somewhere in the middle. During dinner I was so nervous about spilling or doing something wrong I was a terrible conversationalist, and only answered questions when I was asked, and never said anything interesting at all. Oh well. The food was great, except for my tiramisu, which was of course soaked in coffee which I don't enjoy, so I ate the filling and left the soggy cake. Hah!

The next day we had breakfast and got on the bus to the museum again. This was the first time that Cody and I had been there, but most of the people had been there twice already. We got to look at all the artwork, and it was amazing. Cody's dad had a whole room just for his work. It was so neat. Most of the paintings he had there were already sold, and he had 'borrowed' them back from the owners to have at the show. That's why this show was neat, because it wasn't a sale, so there was no pressure to try to sell artwork, everyone was just there to enjoy. They have a catalog of all the artwork, and I had a few artists sign my book. That was fun.
Then we went back to the tent on the lawn, and Cody's dad did a slideshow presentation and it was amazing. He had photo's of where we live, and showed pictures of where he gets his ideas, and how they turn into paintings. I've seen his photo's and his paintings, but I've never really seen the transformation as clearly before. Plus he's hilarious. It was so fun. After it was over, we wandered around some more until noon, when we got back on the buses with sack lunches, and ate while we drove the 1.5-2 hours to the lake.

The lake is amazing, it's super green there, everything is mossy and lush. It makes me realize how much of a desert we live in. The houses on the grounds were also crazy. They are 100 years old. There were docks and boathouses, and greenhouses, and gardens, there were volleyball/tennis courts, and shuffleboard, and swings. There were houses that belong to different members of the family who owns the lake, and they all were so nice. We wandered from yard to yard admiring all of the beautiful flowers and landscaping. We went on a pontoon boat ride around the lake, through the inlets, around an island. It was a beautiful day, sunny and rainy at the same time. Blue skies with clouds, and it changed all day. By the time we ate dinner though, it was pouring. We had to run from the food tent to the tent with tables and were soaked! Honestly the funniest part of the day, was the port-a-potties. The plumbing at the lake houses was old and couldn't handle all of the guests for the day, so they had these crazy fancy portable restrooms. They were....fancy! I don't know how else to describe them! They had music playing, and the light turned on automatically when you entered. They were decorated, and had marble looking counter tops, wooden cabinets, and black & silver fixtures. They also smelled nice. It was crazy. I found a photo online! You'd never guess this was a port-a-potty right!?!

We got back on the buses and headed back to the hotel. The next morning, we got ready and flew home. That is when I got on the little Saab plane with the propellers that you went outside and walked up the stairs onto. I've never done that before. The plane was old, either that, or the seats were just hammered and totally uncomfortable. I was glad that ride is only 45 minutes. At the Minnesota airport, I almost bought a tin of mints that said "2008 Republican Convention" on them, just because it was funny that we were there a day after that hoopla was over. I don't consider myself a republican, (or a democrat either for that matter) but it would have been fun to have as a memory. But I didn't. Oh well.

On the plane from MN to SLC, we didn't have confirmed seats, so we had to run to the boarding desk and hope we could get seats together. Luckily we did, in the LAST row. Unluckily, the people who sat across from us were terrible. The lady was L-O-U-D. Everything she said was loud. And not only that, she was super flirty with the guy who was next to her, and she had a huge (fake) wedding ring on and he had a girlfriend. She kept buying them wine, and they had a bag of peanuts in shells and made a huge mess. I was glad I had the window seat, or I might have just reached across the row and smacked her. Cody is a better person than I. Thank goodness for my iPod. I would have gone bonkers listening to them for 3 hours. Even the stewardesses were sick of them by the end. Some people have absolutely no self awareness. I'm one of those people who has too much.

So, now we're home, and I hope I didn't bore you with all the little details. I have a few photo's posted on my flickr from the trip. Go see all the green!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Wow! What a beautiful place. You guys look so cute. I'm glad the weekend went well- except for the obnoxious lady on the flight. It is amazing how much more green it is there, huh? I think my favorite picture is the one on the lake with the green trees and the huge white puffy clouds. It made me go, "Woooooow!" I'm so glad you had a good time. I love the cute photo collage too. Hooray for Wisconsin.

Darci said...

I'm glad you guys had a good time. I think your next flying experience should be to St. Louis : )