Tuesday, August 5, 2008

tasty goodness

So, I have never been a big fan of oatmeal. At my house growing up, it was always made in a huge pot on the stove, and my mom would put very minimal sugar, and cook raisins in it. They'd get all puffy and gross. Anyway, I always thought it was a sticky gummy mess, that didn't taste very good.
Now Cody loves oatmeal for breakfast. I think he eats it EVERY day for breakfast all winter long. We always bought him the little packets of instant oatmeal in various flavors. I tried it every once in a while, and found it still sticky and very very sweet. I had pretty much just decided I wasn't an oatmeal girl.
So why am I super excited about oatmeal? In the middle (hopefully closer to the end) of the hot summer? Well, because I found this amazing oatmeal. It's instant, but it's not full of crap. It also has other grains, not just oats, so that it has more of a texture to it. It has nuts in it, and is sweetened, but not super sweet.

Enter, Quaker Simple Harvest oatmeal.
It is amazing. First off, it actually contains sugar, not high fructose corn syrup, not regular corn syrup, not sucralose (the horrible horrible fake sugar known as splenda that no one should ever put in their body) and it's not overly sweet either. All it contains are oats, wheat, barley, rye, flaxseed, sugar, nuts (the kind I'm eating does anyway), salt, molasses, and natural flavorings. I love love love the brown sugar & pecan kind, and have also tried and like the almond & honey. Our grocery store didn't carry the apple cinnamon or I would have gotten that too. Now what I want to know, is if it's possible to make real food taste good without adding high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil to EVERYTHING, why don't they? Why is everything that comes in a box saturated with fake food that is terrible for us?
I am eating a bowl right now, with 1/3 cup fresh blueberries, and it is so good. It has a texture that is beyond soggy squishy oatmeal, and tastes like real food! I'm sure I sound like some sort of company plant at this point, but I am just so excited to be able to enjoy the health benefits of eating oatmeal, without feeling like I'm eating gruel in a prison movie or something. In the winter I'm going to try a recipe I found for making steel cut oats in the crock pot, and letting it cook overnight so you have hot cereal all ready in the morning, but for now, I'm ok with little packets of slightly processed oaty goodness.
Try it, you'll like it.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

mmmm Those do sound yummy, and yes the stitching on the onesies is the same thing I did on my pillows!

Dawn said...

I like oatmeal pretty good and I'm trying to eat it everday while I'm on my unemployed health quest but it just hasn't been what I wanted lately. Maybe I will try this fancy new oatmeal you are advocating. Casey makes oatmeal from regular quaker oats everyday with a little bit of pancake syrup butter and milk. I don't know why I don't just try that. It always looks good when I watch him eating it...

Megan said...

We're oatmeal fans too since milk is out at our house. I love this kind too. I think my favorite is the apples and cinnamon. Mmmm.