Thursday, September 21, 2006

the smartest thing i've ever done

So, prepare yourself people, I am about to document the smartest thing I've ever done. Let me begin at the beginning......
I had made cookies sometime last week and put them in this big rubbermaid cookie container that I have instead of a cookie jar. It seals well too keep them soft and holds like 6 dozen cookies. Well Cody took the last of the cookies to work and there was the big empty container full of cookie crumbs on the counter.
Some friends called and said they'd be over to visit so I did a quick clean up of the kitchen, including putting the empty rubbermaid container in the oven to get it off the counter and make stuff look neater. I do this with random stuff sometimes, usually big dishes or cookie sheets waiting to be washed that are sitting out.
Soooooooooooooooooooo....
I don't think I need to tell you where this is going, but I will anyway. I decided to use my new pampered chef cookie scoop and make some chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips tonight. I started around midnight, got out the ingredients, and preheated the oven to 350*. After 10 or so minutes, I had an ah-ha moment and all at once I had like 3 memories in my head. It's like, if you've ever watched 'Charmed' and Phoebe has those visions of the future, she gets this shocked look on her face and flinches. Anyway, that's what I did, but instead of seeing the future, I realized past events- putting the plastic in the oven, forgetting to take it out, turning the oven on. It was at this point I noticed the smell also. Not even thinking, I opened the oven door and was met with the most terrible smelling smoke, and a huge melty mess. The container had completely melted, and was this super clear shiny drippy...I don't know what. The lid had a blue band around it, and the material was more rubbery than plasticy, and it was still pretty in tact, but my oh my. So here are photo's of my proudest kitchen moment. Enjoy.

Picture of melty mess while still super hot. I couldn't open the door because of the horrible smelly smoke!

another picture through the door, after plastic began to cool and turn back to it's normal color

after the smoke went away (we opened all the windows and doors) and it cooled down a bit

cody cutting the strings of plastic to get the racks out

the bottom of the oven actually came out pretty cleanly


what's left of the lid


So now we get to figure out how to get the plastic of the racks, and the heating element, and get rid of the residue on the oven bottom. Not to mention the smell.
Sweet.
And I also have cookie dough and no where to cook it.

On a happy note, it's randomly snowing! yay!

1 comment:

Megan said...

OK, your melted mess looked WAY worse than mine did, although the look is similar. Argh! Why do we do this to ourselves? And why didn't I learn from your lesson?